Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Recipe of the Week

Sweet-and-Sour Green Beans
Serves 2-4, Total Time 15 min

Ingredients:
3/4 lb green beans
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, minced
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
  1. Place the green beans in a steamer basket set over a large saucepan of boiling water.  Steam until bright green and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
  2. In a medium skillet, heat the oil.  Add the shallot and cook over high heat, stirring until softened, about 2 minutes.  Add the vinegar and sugar; stir to dissolve the sugar.  Remove from heat and stir in the beans.  Season with salt and pepper.  Toss well and serve.
I did a few things differently when making this recipe.  I used yellow onion in place of the shallot, but only an amount equivalent to about the size of a shallot (maybe 1/8 medium onion)I also did not cook the onion on high heat.  I cooked it on med-med/high.  I did not have a steam basket, so I placed only about an inch or so of water at the bottom of a pot, added the green beans, covered the pot, and let boil for about 5 minutes that way.

I found this recipe on the Delish.com website.

No comments:

Post a Comment