Monday, June 6, 2011

My Breakfasts

First, let me begin by saying, I am quite a small person, and don't eat as much as most people.  I'd like to think that I eat the amount of food that is appropriate for my size, and you should do that too.  ;)  Also, because I am not able to eat too much (it just won't fit into my stomach), I am not always able to have all food groups at all meals, as some people recommend.  I just try to fit a variety of foods in throughout the day.

For breakfast I try to have something from more than one food group, and try to always incorporate some sort of protein.  For example, today I had shredded wheat cereal, grapes, and grilled slice of turkey breast.

Things I like to have for breakfast:
  • Cereal
    • I love, love, love cereal.
    • Any cereal we buy has to meet three requirements.  1) The main ingredient must be some sort of whole grain, 2) it must have at least 3 grams of fiber per serving, and 3) it must not have more than 8 grams of sugar.
    • We use 2% fat milk.
  • Turkey Bacon
  • Grilled turkey or ham
  • Oatmeal
    • I use pecans or peanut butter to get more protein
    • I sweeten the oatmeal with fruit or honey
  • Eggs
    • boiled, scrambled, omelet
  • Toast
    • I do indulge in real butter, and often use jelly (no sugar added) or honey.
  • Fruit
On the weekends for one breakfast we'll sometimes indulge and have something like pancakes, waffles, french toast, hash browns, etc.  It is very, very rare that we ever eat out for breakfast, and it is very, very, very rare that we ever have any precooked food for breakfast (frozen breakfast meals, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment